Grade 13

For the past four years I have been a student striving for a goal - to earn my bachelor's degree. I had ideas of where I wanted to go post-graduation, but nothing really stuck out. I now have an opportunity to serve in a small community called Bánica in the Dominican Republic from August 2010 to December 2010. These next few months will be spent preparing myself to spend a semester abroad in a different country, to be the hands and feet of Jesus, to serve in God's name.
I'm hoping to regularly post thoughts, prayers, experiences and random photos so that I can share with anyone and everyone. I ask prayers for me as I start on this journey that God has called me on, and I ask prayers for the community that I am going to serve, that it be touched by God's grace.




Friday, August 27, 2010

Just another tranquilo day...

This morning, Cuki, Sarah, Marisol and I went around and visited homes around Bánica. We brought holy cards to remind people to pray and to find out more about the neighborhood. We met a number of interesting people. To me, what was really amazing was how Marisol knew about everyone. She knew which homes were not actually homes but only housed perros (dogs) and which homes already had people attending Mass on a regular basis. My experience this morning brought a whole new meaning to the words “small town.” Cuki is, I think 18 or 19 and she works for the parish as well as attends la Universidad (what we call college). She is very energetic and affectionate. She is just as excited to learn English as Sarah and I are to learn Spanish. After visiting homes for about three hours, in which time we ate many lemoncillas, which grow on trees, (similar to our chewing gum, what you do is break the skin with your teeth (or fingernail) and suck out the seed, which has the sweet part attached to that. You suck on the seed until the sweet part is gone, then spit out the seed – very delicious). I also tried guarabas, and colmados, which were not my favorite. I do like jugo de colmado (colmado juice) but that is also sweetened with a lot of sugar. The fruit itself is pretty sour. After lunch, Omero, who works for the parish as well (he runs the St. Vincent de Paul society, takes care of trash, acts as a driver and other various needed tasks) drove Cuki, Sarah and I around the parish, dropping off clothes and food. What is awesome about him is that he is so knowledgeable about the parish and various communities. He knows who is actually in need of help and food and who just says they need food. About once a month the Church hands out arroz (rice) and other necessities to those most in need. Many clothes are given to the leaders in each campo to be distributed as needed. Essentially all of the donations that are given to this mission are processed through the St. Vincent DePaul society. We have a big room it is all kept in, but we try to process it quickly and get it out to the people in need so that it doesn’t sit in a room not being used. School supplies, clothes, etc. are all donated to help, which is great. We spent a few hours doing this, and were able to explore a bit more of Sebana Cruz and Higuerito, two towns we’ll be working in a lot over the coming months. Yesterday was also a fun adventure. Having cleaned up most of la casa de juventud (the youth house), Sarah and I went to the mercado with Oscar. The mercado, or market, happens twice a week, on Thursdays and Sundays. Many Haitians cross the border to sell their wares, everything from live chickens to vegetables to clothes. It was an interesting sight to see and one very different from the United States. We had a bit of a breather from lots of scheduled stuff because Father O’Hare had to make a trip to the capital for various errands, and to bring someone there who has a doctor’s appointment next week. We had plenty to do while he was gone though. Another interesting part of life here…la cancha. (stands for ‘sports ground’ or ‘tennis court’) It has a volleyball net in the center and a basketball hoop on either end. The big guys are the ones who play volleyball and as Tom, who is one of the volunteers down here who works with the mission, told me, they give americanos (especially girls) one freebie to prove they can play. Well, I haven’t played volleyball in years and my game proved that. After telling Tom that I couldn’t play anymore, they moved on and I decided I would play basketball with Sarah and the little kids, who were more accepting. Last night though when I went back, I got there early and was able to play before all the big guys elbowed their way in. I have to admit though, it was nice to get out and run around. Everyone here is so great about offering drinks and food that I feel like all I do is eat here. On that note, I would like to share that I was extremely humbled the other night and was reminded of my purpose here. I am used to in the States cooking for myself and doing the dishes and my own laundry and not being served. So when the question of laundry came up with Simona, I told her that I would like to help. The conversation went something like this…(keep in mind my Spanish was much simpler than what follows below) Kenzie – “I would like to clean my clothes at some point in the near future, I am running low.” Simona – “Well give me your clothes and I’ll wash them for you.” Kenzie – “I would like to help.” Simona - “When do you have time?” Kenzie – “emm, emmm (how they say “um” in Spanish) I don’t know. My days are kind of busy.” Simona – “I get up, I walk in the morning, I prepare you breakfast and I do chores. I do not have anything else to do during the day. You teach and work for the Church. What you are doing is more important and takes precedence over you doing your own laundry.” And I was struck speechless for a minute. Of course she was right, and I was presumptuous enough to think I had time for everything. Everyone has ways of showing love and hers is by allowing me to focus on why I came down here – to serve God and this wonderful community of Bánica by teaching and working with the kids in the various communities and she is serving God and me by serving me food, giving me a place to put my head at night and washing my clothes. Lesson learned, God. On a last note before I run off to dinner, riding around to the different communities has allowed me to take in the breathtaking beauty of the mountains in the Dominican Republic. What a beautiful country – it is so green right now! We are nearing the end of the rainy season, so for awhile longer I’ll see all the greenery, however I think that even in the dry season God still will find ways to show us the beauty that His creation is. God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment