Grade 13

For the past four years I have been a student striving for a goal - to earn my bachelor's degree. I had ideas of where I wanted to go post-graduation, but nothing really stuck out. I now have an opportunity to serve in a small community called Bánica in the Dominican Republic from August 2010 to December 2010. These next few months will be spent preparing myself to spend a semester abroad in a different country, to be the hands and feet of Jesus, to serve in God's name.
I'm hoping to regularly post thoughts, prayers, experiences and random photos so that I can share with anyone and everyone. I ask prayers for me as I start on this journey that God has called me on, and I ask prayers for the community that I am going to serve, that it be touched by God's grace.




Monday, November 22, 2010

A whirlwind tour of the capital

I am sitting here on a chilly Monday morning with Lupo (one of the rectory cats) who is keeping my lap warm. I am watching normal busy parish life happen. Today is laundry day, Oscar and Onardo are moving furniture, lunch is getting cooked, and of course, Lupo, Squeaky and Cyxto are snoozing in the sun. I have returned from Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic (Sarah and I got back on Saturday evening) from a 2-week stint taking an intensive spanish course. So of course I have been dreaming of the plu-perfect subjuntive and imperative commands (don't forget the conditional) because that's essentially all I've been thinking about while I was there. I think I have learned a thing or two, so now our goal is to put into practice what we've learned in our time there. We also got a chance to meet some cool people, Svetlana, from Russia, Mary, from Delaware, Hans from Norway, Julissa, from the good ole' DR, and of course the wonderful Doñas (Ilina and Gertrudys) who hosted us during our time there. After two weeks of visiting museums, class everyday, going to the beach, experiencing the city on foot (and especially zona colonial, the oldest part of the city), church-hunting (we never did find a Mass in the AM, except for Sunday) and lots of frozen yogurt, we were ready again for the simplicity and love of Banica. Here are some pictures that hopefully capture some of our experience in the capital. Here is a picture of the oldest cathedral in the Americas. Built in the early 1500s, it is still used today...and has the best Catholic libreria (bookstore) behind it. This is a picture of one street, Av. Duarte, in the Colonial Zone. We walked this a lot to get to the bus station to take us to Juan Dolio, the beach we visited a few times while we were in the city. This is the Caribbean Sea. A la playa Juan Dolio. Soooooo beautiful. Sarah and I in La Fortreza de Ozama. The oldest fortress that Columbus used when he settled here. This is a picture of La Doña, Gertrudys, and me. She is the wondeful lady I stayed with during my time in Santo Domingo.

No comments:

Post a Comment